I have been revisiting my Project Diet plans and reviewing my UFOs. There’s a Page with the details but I am reproducing my thoughts in this post
Remember last year’s Project Diet – aimed mainly at reducing the UFO pile? I reckon I didn’t do too badly, but also that I did not do as well as I might. This was partly due to painful hands, but I reckon mostly to do with the fact that finishing old projects just isn’t all that much fun, not really.
Between the project diet and the lack of will, I found that I was rapidly approaching the 2013 Show with nothing to enter. I am determined that this will not happen again, but I do want to keep nibbling away at that embarrassing heap of UFOs. That being so, perhaps this year I shall prioritise any Show candidate UFOs and mix them in with Show-targeted new projects
Here’s the list of classes for 2014:
- 92 Any item from up to 100g of yarn
- 93 Knitted Headwear, any ply
- 94 Knitted full Shawl – round or square
- 95 Cardigan
- 96 Waistcoat DK
- 97 Wool crochet, any article
- 98 Outfit for doll knitted or crochet
- 99 Cushion Cover knitted
- 100 Knitted Lace, cotton
- 101 Crochet, any article in cotton
- 102 Scarf, knit or crochet
- 103 Matinee jacket 4ply
- 104 Knitted Toy
- 105 Any item knitted from Handspun yarn
And here is the list of current UFOs (August 2013)
In the laundry basket:
- Jubilee Cardigan – top-down 1 pce construction. Has sleeves and has reached the waist.
- Sugar Plum Fair sweater has back and front done and joined and 1st sleeve in progress but is on hiatus until I feel I can unpick the sleeve and start again.
- Wings of the Dove wrap/throw approx 5-10% done
- Evenstar silk shawl 15% done
- Windswept Shawl 5% done
- Autumn Arbor wrap 5%
- Pi Blanket ready to border and edge, say 70% done
- Hannelore 15%
- Kadril – barely started (again)
- Lisianthus shawl 5%
- Valborg doily 50 rounds done
Project bags – ongoing blanket projects
- Domino sock yarn blanket
- Hexapuff blanket
- Tunisian crochet blanket
I think we have to admit that to be a whole lot more manageable than the list that I created last September.
So, here’s the mapping. Items in bold are UFOs for completion:
- 92 Any item from up to 100g of yarn: Lisianthus plus some mittens that I need to get knitted soon. That should make a change from socks!
- 93 Knitted Headwear, any ply: The current hat design project can go in to this class. I would also like to make something in Fair Isle, maybe a Polar Bear Chullo? or I can enter Twhit again.
- 94 Knitted full Shawl – round or square: Windswept – plus Evenstar, if it can be managed
- 95 Cardigan: Jubilee plus another from my Rav Q if time permits
- 96 Waistcoat DK: a Cul de Sac, if I can make enough yarn
97 Wool crochet, any articleI don’t do the C thing 98 Outfit for doll knitted or crochetUnlikely
- 99 Cushion Cover knitted: I do have one or two patterns in mind but I’m not likely to get around to them by this time next year
- 100 Knitted Lace, cotton: Valborg and Hannelore
101 Crochet, any article in cottonI don’t do the C thing
- 102 Scarf, knit or crochet: Kadril, if it kills me. Plus Autumn Arbor or Wings of the Dove
- 103 Matinee jacket 4ply: I need to find a pattern that I love
- 104 Knitted Toy: Not very likely, but after this year’s success, why not? How about one of Ysolda’s softies? I have a few patterns that I have purchased but not yet knit
- 105 Any item knitted from Handspun yarn: not sure yet, but I’d like to make a jumper if I can. There’s also a few skeins kicking around that need to be knitted into something small but luscious. I might make a scarf, probably Ysolda’s Marin.
and that brings us to some kind of order or schedule…
- Cardigan: The Jubilee cardigan is something that I really want to complete. I should like to be wearing it. It is not something that I can easily take around with me however…
- Cotton Lace 1: …so I shall progress Valborg at the same time.
- Scarf 1: Kadril
- Shawl 1: Windswept
- Item from 100g 1: Fair Isle Mittens – learning to knit with both hands
- Item from 100g 2: Lisianthus
- Scarf 2: Autumn Arbor
- Cotton Lace 2: Hannelore
- Headwear 1: Current hat design Project
- Shawl 2: Evenstar
At slightly less than 1 project a month, that ought to be achievable, even though most of these are large projects. By this time next year I hope to see all my UFOs fitting into one shopping bag-sized container.
It will take me a day or so to find my notes and get back up to speed on the Jubilee cardigan, so for this evening I shall be working on Valborg.